Founded by Edmund Sinnhuber, the abbot of St. Peter´s Monastery, in 1696, the Edmundsburg (Edmund's Castle) was initially a finishing school for worthy monastery employees, later an orphanage for impoverished young boys and then a boarding school until the end of the 1950s. In 1961, the Internationale Forschungszentrum für Grundfragen der Wissenschaft (International Research Centre for the Foundations of Science) took up occupation in the building.

Since 2008 the building (owned by the Erzdiözese Salzburg) is known as the Haus für Europa (House for Europe) of the Paris-Lodron University of Salzburg.

In addition to the Stefan Zweig Centre Salzburg, the Salzburg Centre of European Studies (SCEUS), the university department of Labour-, Economic- and European Law, an international European doctoral program and the Salzburg Literature Archives can be found in the Edmundsburg.

Edmundsburg Edmundsburg